Monday, November 8, 2010

Abusive Power

I yelled at my daughter the other day...
...because I could.

Why could I? Because she's the daughter, and I'm the father, and that gives me power. Is it wrong that I have that power? No. The benefits of parents having the authority to exercise their office are too numerous to list here. However, that same power that the authority bestows can be used destructively... and I did.

I apologized later, but the moment had been lost already. Did she forgive me for abusing power like that? Likely. She's that kind of person. But I'm left with the sick feeling in my stomach that knows such abuse is always there waiting to face. I wouldn't yell at an adult like that. Why would I raise my voice at my child that way? Because there's seemingly no immediate consequences for doing so. I can get away with it because my children have no recourse; except maybe to lost respect little by little for the pathetic specimen before them who lacks the self-control they will one day admire in someone else.

God help my children to grow up into better, more well adjusted people than can be accounted for from their interaction with me.

No comments: