Monday, December 31, 2007

New Years's resolutions

Although some consider New Year's resolutions to be unproductive, considering how often they are broken creating a sense of self-imposed exaggerated defeat, I find them helpful in that the coming of a new year is as good a time as any to set new goals. Oh sure, there have been numerous "New Year's resolutions" in the past that I've made, and kept for approximately 3.2 weeks. The act of goal setting though, even if many goals are not reached, is a positive enterprise that places one more in motion toward achieving those goals than one who does not set them at all.

My resolutions for this coming year include, but are not limited to:
  1. More "manly" stuff (like hunting, using power tools to construct things, collect hockey memorabilia, etc.).
  2. More romantic stuff (like taking Naomi out to nice places, writing her sappy cards, buying her gifts for no particular reason).
  3. More Dad stuff (like taking the kids to special events, camping with them, and getting consistent again with family worship).
These in addition to the academic and professional goals I have set make for a full year of living. But really, what I attempt through "New Year's resolutions" is to behold the goodness of God through a more in-depth living experience. At the heart of these "resolutions" is a desire to perceive God's grace and blessing more this year than I ever have before. I imagine that to be a goal he would like me to both set and achieve.

No comments: